Pancake Day is one of my favourite days of the year! I can, with no guilt, cook as many pancakes as I like, and devour them all day, both sweet and savoury, rolled up, folded, laid out flat. Yes, I make enough for the family, but I will unashamedly consume piles of them throughout the day.
Below I have shared my pancake recipe with you, so you can know the joy! Be liberal with your chosen toppings. It's a day that only comes round once a year.
- 110g sifted plain flour
- 2 medium eggs
- 275ml milk
- 50g butter
- Sift the flour into a bowl. Whisk in the eggs one at a time, ensuring they are fully incorporated. You can use either a hand whisk or an electric whisk.
- Whilst continuing to whisk, slowly pour in the milk. The mixture may appear lumpy at first, but as you whisk these will disappear. Use a silicone spatula to scrape down the edges of the bowl, incorporating these into the mixture, and whisk again.
- Melt the butter in the pan, ensuring it doesn't burn. Pour off any excess into a container (for use later). Turn the heat down to a medium heat. Pour approximately 2 tablespoons of the batter into the centre of the now hot pan, manoeuvring the pan from side to side so that the batter coats the bottom. It will take about 30 seconds to 1 minute to cook. Use your spatula to lift the pancake. Once it is golden brown, flip the pancake and cook for another 30 seconds to 1 minute. Once it is finished, slide it out onto a plate.
- Using kitchen paper, dip this into the now cooled butter and smear the pan with it. Make sure the butter is cool before doing this. Pour some more batter into the pan and repeat the process.
- To stop them sticking together, stack the pancakes between sheets of greaseproof paper.
- If making sweet pancakes, sprinkle each with freshly squeezed lemon juice and caster sugar. If making savoury pancakes, fill 1/3 pancake with filling and fold over twice.
My personal favourite toppings include:
- Banana and peanut butter
- Whipped Cream and Golden Syrup
- Nutella (just Nutella!)
- Strawberries and white chocolate chips
- Fried Mushrooms and Pesto
- Chicken breast, tomatoes and onions